Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #43  
What does your gooseneck weight empty?
The tag says 4210lbs but that is without options. In general, most manufactures just use a standard weight for a given model without options. D/C, in the last year or so, weigh every trailer that comes out of the factory, so their weight is exact. With the 8k winch, battery, spare, chains, binders and straps, it probably is close to 4500.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #44  
Brother just picked up a BigTex GN with 2 megaramps, deck over for his business.

Tow vehicle is his Super Duty so all good in power and braking.

Towing home empty was the worst ride ever and no comparison to the ease of towing my 12k bumper pull PJ

The bumper pull PJ spoiled more than we thought because it's a dream to pull empty or loaded compared to the new GN

Problem best described as chattering going down the freeway for truck and trailer...

Hoping loaded will be better?

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #45  
I can relate to that. My new GMC 3500HD has a pretty stiff ride, even without a trailer. I can't hardly tell the difference if my Big Tex 25' is behind me, empty or loaded. But then I didn't buy the setup thinking it would ride as smooth as my wife's Cadillac XT6 or get good gas mileage. I was right. :)

20231113_153758.jpg

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #46  
Brother just picked up a BigTex GN with 2 megaramps, deck over for his business.

Tow vehicle is his Super Duty so all good in power and braking.

Towing home empty was the worst ride ever and no comparison to the ease of towing my 12k bumper pull PJ

The bumper pull PJ spoiled more than we thought because it's a dream to pull empty or loaded compared to the new GN

Problem best described as chattering going down the freeway for truck and trailer...

Hoping loaded will be better?
You are the first person I’ve heard say that a gooseneck towed rougher than a bumper pull. My experience is both a better ride and handling with any gooseneck I have owned or used. My gooseneck stock trailer tows so nice that I have to be careful and keep reminding myself that I’m towing a trailer. But the stock trailer is heavier than a flatbed, so that probably makes the difference. No trailer tows smoothly when empty.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #47  
Appreciate the response...

Maybe some sort of harmonic between truck and trailer and road bed?

Towed a large 32 5th wheel travel trailer and it also towed better.

The GN is new to us and first time towing was the 70 miles from the dealer.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #48  
Appreciate the response...

Maybe some sort of harmonic between truck and trailer and road bed?

Towed a large 32 5th wheel travel trailer and it also towed better.

The GN is new to us and first time towing was the 70 miles from the dealer.
I think you will notice a big difference with weight on the trailer.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #49  
I can relate to that. My new GMC 3500HD has a pretty stiff ride, even without a trailer. I can't hardly tell the difference if my Big Tex 25' is behind me, empty or loaded. But then I didn't buy the setup thinking it would ride as smooth as my wife's Cadillac XT6 or get good gas mileage. I was right. :)

View attachment 832629
quick question for you. When you bought that 3500, did the dealer let you know that pretty much any 10k+ trailer you hooked up to would require a CDL to go down the road? I was wondering if they are warning new buyers about that?

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #50  
quick question for you. When you bought that 3500, did the dealer let you know that pretty much any 10k+ trailer you hooked up to would require a CDL to go down the road? I was wondering if they are warning new buyers about that?
Technically true, but every farm or ranch in my area has 1 ton+ trucks pulling stock trailers with 10+ steers and few have CDLs.