Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #31  
Sure I agree bigger the better, but this 7000 lbs will be fine for what I need to haul and the price was right.
Do check the caster on the axles. It took me two sets of axles to figure out why the inner bearings would start turning on the spindles, spreading fine particles through the bearings in the process.

The trailer is very light, and rarely had more than 3,000 lbs. on it, which turned out to be part of the problem - there wasn't enough weight to make the slight bend in the axle tubing straighten out.

Combined with that I had set the springs to a certain ride height (adjustable spring hangers) especially the front axle ended up with negative caster, which in turn lead to toe-out. That removed the inward force on the inner bearing, making it turn on the spindle.

A different balance beam and moving the outer ends of the springs to the correct holes in the hangers created a slight positive caster on both axles (the third set), and they've been happy ever since.

Not saying that this couldn't apply to heavier axles with bent tubes, too, but I've never had any such issues with those.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing
It is only mandated if the manufacturer rates the 2500 as a class 2. Ford and GM are now over the 10k if you want, on the 250/2500.

So far, Ram 2500 max gvw is 10k and why I have a 2500. I agree with your air bag comment, It will do anything a 3500 SRW will do.

View attachment 821904
Those look like they may limit axle articulation, do they?

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #33  
I think with a SRW truck that pulling forward far enough to put the loader on the neck may put too much hitch weight on the truck.

Your tractor is similar to mine in physical size. I like my 24' bumper pull. I got rid of a 25' gooseneck deckover. Just dont like climbing up on and off the thing all the time. The lower deck is much nicer. And I can fit in areas I couldnt with the gooseneck.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #34  
Those look like they may limit axle articulation, do they?

In theory they might but not for my use. Say If I were rock climbing. I almost always have a gooseneck dump attached so I need the capacity and stability.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #35  
I like my diamond c GN it is 20’ with 2’ dove. Low deck and my equipment goes on it no problem. I just don’t trust bumper pulls with 14k loads pushing 18k all in. last week hay pickup…
71589981686__6E012DBA-F40E-4C98-B732-14797147DA61.jpeg

I had a spring shop add an extra leaf to the rear springs on my Dodge 2500. The cost was reasonable.
Can’t do that with coil rear springs.

Ram 2500s from 2014 and newer have coil springs front and rear except for the ones that rear air suspension.

I am NOT against adding supplemental air bags.

I like my diamond c GN it is 20’ with 2’ dove. Low deck and my equipment goes on it no problem. I just don’t trust bumper pulls with 14k loads pushing 18k all in. last week hay pickup…View attachment 822183
I have a line on a used gooseneck set up just like yours.

Last edited:
   / Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #38  
I'm trying to decide on the length I need. I think 22' (20' flat & 2' dovetail) is about right to allow for positioning to balance the load and maybe carry a second implement.

However, if I switched to a gooseneck would a 20' trailer be long enough as the loader bucket could set on top of the gooseneck hitch? I found a 20' gooseneck (18' flat & 2' dovetail) for sale somewhat local to me.

I would think you would be fine with this trailer. The shorter it is the less weight will go on the pin. Pretty sure your tractor will not overload the truck loaded all the way forward. The rear attachment will help offset the pin weight.

My Loadtrail is similar to the D/C pictured. 22' + 2' dove, 14k. If needed, the fenders are removable to load a wide load, then reinstall them. I tow all my trailers with a 2500 '01 Dodge or '21 Ram 2500.

Hauled this monster load to Rock Springs, Wyoming then brought the old Ford back.

0903211609.jpg
0905211428a.jpg

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #39  
@nisaacs s 100% correct. I can pull the fenders if I need extra 4-6” width, then re-install them. But my 75C fits between the fenders no problem and the bucket can set on the GN. Then I can load it with my bush hog still attached.

he D/C pictured. 22' + 2' dove, 14k. If needed, the fenders are removable to load a wide load, then reinstall them. I tow all my trailers with a 2500 '01 Dodge or '21 Ram 2500.

What does your gooseneck weight empty?