Thoughts on 02 F450 dump

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #81  
Good plan. Where in PA. are you, I have 3 SD parts trucks in Blairstown NJ. Maybe do some horse trading. 🍻

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump
Good plan. Where in PA. are you, I have 3 SD parts trucks in Blairstown NJ. Maybe do some horse trading.

Unfortunately I’m way on the other side about 45 min south of Erie!

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #83  
I have been keeping my eyes out for a pre-‘08 Duramax 3500 dump without rust and it’s a near impossible find. While lamenting the subject with a guy that works for me, he said he had been reading a lot about trucks/rust and said that starting about 25 years ago some of the auto makers began using lower quality steel and that frames and steel body parts do not last as long.
I think that they are protecting metal better than they used to, but once the protection is compromised, the steel goes fast.

Then I was talking to a guy with a really clean ‘06 2500. No cab corner rust or rocker rust. He then showed me pictures of what it used to look like. The cab corners and rockers were gone. Said he got it all fixed-new steel corners & rockers for about $3,000.

I like these trucks enough that I might buy one, even a rusted one, and give the repair job a try. We need something for towing the mowers around, grounds maintenance and snowplowing (if it begins snowing again)

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #84  
You said F450, which is a Ford model, but you show a Dodge? The Ford V10 sucked, but the Dodge V10 is a good strong engine.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #85  
I have an opportunity to buy an 02 F450 Dump. V10, 6 speed, 4x4, engine driven hydraulics for dump, plow, spreader. Unit has about 50k miles. Cab is very rough on door bottoms, rockers, cab corners, floor. The frame and dump are ok.

I realize that I would have significant body work to do. It seems most panels that I would need are available after market.

If I could make a successful offer and get it for say $2000-3500, is that smart or should I just (try to) forget about it?

This would be for personal use on our 100 ac property, and include on road use to get materials, etc.

Insurance for limited use is quoted at less than $250/yr liability only to be added to our existing policy.

View attachment 784576View attachment 784577View attachment 784578View attachment 784579
Here is the thing, if the rust is the body panels and such only, go for it. If the frame is rusted badly, you may want to pass. A few years ago, I was in the exact same position. I had a chance at a 2003 F350 with landscape dump and plow. I got it for a steal. The body was in worse shape. However, 3 weeks of work (including 'bullet proofing" the engine) and it's a nearly brand new truck. Note, this is a work truck for my personal farm as well. Here are a bunch of before and after photos... https://www.megageek.com/truckre.htm Not only did I get to inspect every inch of the truck, I learned a lot about body work and restorations. I only spent about $1200 on the restore (that isn't including the engine work, but does include a lot of tools I purchased to do the job. I'll be more than happy to talk more about if if you are interested. Again, I wasn't looking to make it a show piece, but I get complements on it a lot.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #86  
Here is the thing, if the rust is the body panels and such only, go for it. If the frame is rusted badly, you may want to pass. A few years ago, I was in the exact same position. I had a chance at a 2003 F350 with landscape dump and plow. I got it for a steal. The body was in worse shape. However, 3 weeks of work (including 'bullet proofing" the engine) and it's a nearly brand new truck. Note, this is a work truck for my personal farm as well. Here are a bunch of before and after photos... https://www.megageek.com/truckre.htm Not only did I get to inspect every inch of the truck, I learned a lot about body work and restorations. I only spent about $1200 on the restore (that isn't including the engine work, but does include a lot of tools I purchased to do the job. I'll be more than happy to talk more about if if you are interested. Again, I wasn't looking to make it a show piece, but I get complements on it a lot.
I’m doing that with an IH dumptruck right now. It’s been a slow process. Truck was neglected. Should have probably passed on it, but it’s mine now.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #87  
Got an 03 F350 V10, first and last! You need deep pockets to work on them.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #88  
If the plow came with it, and you have snow removal needs, I would say definitely. Even if not, it’s still a good buy for occasional use.
Rust bothers me, so I tend to buy trucks with mechanical issues and solid bodies, but that’s just my preference. Once rust sets in to that degree, it’s a pain to fix.
The Ford V-10’s were known for spitting out spark plugs from the heads. Check for that, too.
I had a 2003 F250 with the V-10. Nice engine. Smooth running, decent MPG. We were coming back from FL towing a car on a dolly and doing about 70 MPH when a plug blew out on the right bank. I don’t remember which number it was. It didn’t come through the hood but it was scary enough when that noise started and no idea what it was from. We had the 250 because we had a 5th wheel RV. Sold the RV and eventually went to the F150. (Best decision ever) Also went in on a 8 foot dump trailer with my wife’s ex. A good investment based on how much it’s been used.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #89  
So, about 10 years ago I bought a '95 F350 flat bed in this price range. It needed minor work initially. The bed is 8x10'. After a few years I added a dump kit to it and built 4' side walls. It holds about 12 yds. I mostly haul trash and scrap in it but do some light gravel/dirt work around our property. It isn't the prettiest thing but is mechanically sound. It has been so handy to have around the place it has spared my F150 from many chores that it would have been forced to shoulder so less wear and tear there. I have no regrets. If you proceed, just know what getting into with eyes open. Good luck!

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #90  
First off, if your mechanic is ok with an exhaust leak and that weak frame passing inspection he's on the verge of loosing his inspection license if he passes that for inspection.

I'm a shop owner, I have a PA state inspection license, and I have owned an F-450 4x4 dump truck with a stainless steel bed. I dumped a ton of work and money in it before sending it down the road before the major expenses hit. Two major issues with these fords that I don't think have been mentioned are the exhaust manifolds crack + the mounting studs brake off requiring a ton of labor to repair. I'm friends with a Ford Tech and he said he had 49 hours replacing the exhaust manifolds + drilling out the broken studs on a V-10. There were two broken studs that were unable to be drilled out in the vehicle and he wound up having to pull the motor.

The other major area of concern is the engine oil pan rusts out. Another massive headache for anyone who has ever had to replace one.

Personally, I'd steer clear.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr