Trailer capacity

/ Trailer capacity #31  
You can do it for free!
You can use a simple bathroom scale to measure any tongue weight.
Don't believe me?
Check the E-trailer website to learn how,.... with no cost.

I have no doubts that method can be done accurately. I think it’s vastly over a high percentage of people math ability to do so. Figuring out a total price after a 10% tax is mind boggling for a lot of people. I’m betting there’s more people that cant calculate the volume of a cube than those that can. Now you’re suggesting using ratios or fractions? Go look at the towing something wrong thread.

/ Trailer capacity #32  
As far as tongue weight,,
What happens to tongue weight going up a hill?
What happens to tongue weight going down a hill?
What happens to tongue weight when you travel on a rough road?
What happens to tongue weight during acceleration?
What happens to tongue weight during braking??

If you are operating the truck/trailer that close to a weight rating when measured in a static condition,,
YOU ARE OVERLOADING THE EQUIPMENT!!

That is just my opinion,,,:thumbsup:

My last trailer was rated over 18,000 payload by the manufacturer. Should it be limited to hauling 14.5k? If I load 17,000 on the trailer and drive across a scale with each axel carrying 9500 and the truck is rated for the 3500 pounds it’s carrying is anything over loaded? The trailer weighs 5500 with double 10k axels and the 4 tires on the axel are rated for more than 10k in duel configuration.

/ Trailer capacity #33  
My last trailer was rated over 18,000 payload by the manufacturer. Should it be limited to hauling 14.5k? If I load 17,000 on the trailer and drive across a scale with each axel carrying 9500 and the truck is rated for the 3500 pounds it痴 carrying is anything over loaded? The trailer weighs 5500 with double 10k axels and the 4 tires on the axel are rated for more than 10k in duel configuration.

:):thumbsup:

"Duel Configuration"
f.jpg

"Dual Configuration"
g.jpg

/ Trailer capacity #35  
I was probably a tad heavy on tongue weight the other day with 275 gallons of water sitting there. But the 100 gallons on the back countered some of it, didn’t it? :laughing:

IMG_7828.jpg
IMG_7829.jpg

/ Trailer capacity #37  
I was probably a tad heavy on tongue weight the other day with 275 gallons of water sitting there. But the 100 gallons on the back countered some of it, didn’t it? :laughing:

View attachment 609588
View attachment 609589

A tad heavy is better than not enough. Aside from swaying just moving hitch light trailers off road runs short on traction.

/ Trailer capacity #39  
Case in point is I just purchased a new PJ F8 deckover with 14k rating. BUT since the vehicle carries some of the load the trailer is actually can actually be rated at just over 16k. I had to go with a HD coupler to get the higher rating but now I’m legal to carry that much weight on the trailer. I won’t ever have that much of a load but good to know I have extra capacity. My max weight will be right at 14k.

IMG_1376.jpg

/ Trailer capacity #40  
Case in point is I just purchased a new PJ F8 deckover with 14k rating. BUT since the vehicle carries some of the load the trailer is actually can actually be rated at just over 16k. I had to go with a HD coupler to get the higher rating but now I’m legal to carry that much weight on the trailer. I won’t ever have that much of a load but good to know I have extra capacity. My max weight will be right at 14k.

View attachment 609581

Converse of that was the 2004 Load Trail 7K Car hauler style trailer that I bought brand spanking new with a 5K coupler on it. I never got quite mad enough to cut it off but I was not impressed.