Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #151  
I just read a great many pages of this thread. One thing I've heard repeated is that with the tandem axle you can always get to the side of the road. What in the heck difference does that make, single axle, tandem axle even triple axle they all can and will get to the side of the road. If you are contemplating hauling it a mile or two with a flat then multiple axles may make that easier. Otherwise it makes no difference. Does you truck stop immediately with a flat tire, or do you drive it off the side of the road to get to a place to work on it. You can gimp most anything off the road and to a bit of safety. Several years ago I got a flat while traveling it was on a very busy divided highway with construction going and the road narrowed with concrete barriers, I just drove slowly on the rim till I got to an opening in the barriers and pulled off the highway to change the tire, yes the rim was chewed up. When we stopped for the night I found a used rim and tire for a new spare, issue over and done with.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
I was using this as a guideline. I was looking at a PJ U7. They estimate the weight of a 12' at 1330 and the 14' at 1420.

Neither leaves a lot of room for much on a load, but an additional 90 pounds could be useful. Sure, I can use the Tundra or the tractor to move the wagon if it is too heavy for the SxS...but the SxS will be EV...I don't think fuel is going to be cheaper anytime soon.

The real solution is probably to have a smaller trailer for the SxS...an eventuality that Mrs. T will not be open to right now...hmmm....maybe if we have a 14' and she gets frustrated by the small limit, she would be more open to a cheapo that is just for the SxS. Spending money is a chess match in a relationship with equal partners. We are both frugal in different ways (why we can retire early).

As for LED lights, I am not 100% which type it comes with. Other than changing bulbs less frequently, why would I want them? In my head, trailer lights have a way of finding trees or other obstacles that mean broken lamps. Energy efficiency is not a big deal for our uses. The only time we will take a trailer out for more than an hour or so would be the first few months as we use it to move our 'stuff' to the new house. After that, it will mostly be on the 'farm' and making occasional runs to Atwoods or TSC (or similar places). I don't dislike LED, but they are not a feature I think I would spend any additional money on for this use. House or car, sure. I am open to changing my mind, though.

I just read a great many pages of this thread. One thing I've heard repeated is that with the tandem axle you can always get to the side of the road. What in the heck difference does that make, single axle, tandem axle even triple axle they all can and will get to the side of the road. If you are contemplating hauling it a mile or two with a flat then multiple axles may make that easier. Otherwise it makes no difference. Does you truck stop immediately with a flat tire, or do you drive it off the side of the road to get to a place to work on it. You can gimp most anything off the road and to a bit of safety. Several years ago I got a flat while traveling it was on a very busy divided highway with construction going and the road narrowed with concrete barriers, I just drove slowly on the rim till I got to an opening in the barriers and pulled off the highway to change the tire, yes the rim was chewed up. When we stopped for the night I found a used rim and tire for a new spare, issue over and done with.
I had the misfortune of shearing my lugs on my left rear of my 200SX while driving across Utah. There is about 110 miles with no services. I was going about 65-70 mph. I got to the side of the road on my brake disk. Not optimal, but I'm still here and the lugs were repaired. Drove that car another 3-4 years.

The single axle vs double is for me to more easily move it by hand. Been there done that. If I had or wanted to haul a T494, the trailer would have to be a double axle...and I would have had to buy a bigger truck. That was a non-starter. The 5200 (supposedly a down-rated 6000 lb), is to make sure I have plenty of wiggle room to move the UTV and still have room for stuff. I also have a timber operation, so I can haul an extra tree or so vs the 3500 axle. In general, I don't like operating equipment at or above the limits. The longevity and safety are worth it and the axle upgrade was about $300.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #154  
I don't like towing at the limits either. It's harder on the equipment, and just more stressful for me. I recently swapped my 7k landscape trailer for a 12k equipment trailer. I trailered my previous L3410 on the 7k trailer, and didn't like it at all - real marginal. With my current L4060 and 12k trailer I'm about 2k under my trailer's limit.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #155  
We are installing a cheap little "slide in" crane to back corner of our trailer asap. Loading or unloading things that don't like to slide bits.

Last edited:
   / Utility trailers - what should i know? #157  
I disagree. I have a couple single axle trailers and a couple duel axle trailers. Two axles travel down the road a lot better. No sway, or moment like the single axle does. I'll add that the single axle trailers are shorter, and they serve their purpose, but they would be a lot better if they had two axles.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #158  
I disagree. I have a couple single axle trailers and a couple duel axle trailers. Two axles travel down the road a lot better. No sway, or moment like the single axle does. I'll add that the single axle trailers are shorter, and they serve their purpose, but they would be a lot better if they had two axles.
The suspension system on tandem axles tends to even out the bumps. So, they are felt as less severe. It is easier to move a tandem axle trailer by hand because the empty tongue weight is less.

General Advice: Get brakes. Where I am there are a lot of 6% and 5% grades, on twisty winding roads, leading to the areas where the public can cut firewood. In mountainous country brakes are a must.

Haha..sure it is a little easier to move a two axle back and forth, but considerably easier to steer a single axle.

Since most of my trailer work will be short haul, I'm not too worried about a smooth pull.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #160  
Try to plan for the future and what kind of trips/uses you may need it for in the future. I bought a trailer for local use never intending for it to ever be out of town. Since then it's been coast to coast several times and between Texas and Florida many dozens of times with loads I'd never anticipated.