Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #101  
I read your post earlier and I felt kinda stupid cuse it didn’t even occur to me hey put up sided and you can move wood dirt and whatever. I was leaning a lot more towards dump trailer but they cost a lot more almost double.

I’m not really finding metal deck ones. What length do you have? If I wanted to tow my cars my challenger is the fattest I think it weighs like 5k haha she’s a big girl. If I get dirt I could scoop it off of either side. I could probably get my log lengths cheaper too if I go pick them up. I’ll have to talk to my log guy and see.
It’s 18’ steel trailer with diamond plate decking, dove tail on the rear. Ramps store crosswise under the dove tail. I was able to fit a 1993 Suburban onto it, if that’s any help.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #102  
Figure on losing 1/3 to 1/5 the GVWR for the weight of the trailer itself vs what you expect to haul. My equipment trailer from these guys hasn't given me any problems yet. Don't know where you are, but they are in NC (and I think NE too) if you want to pick it up yourself to save on delivery.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #103  
I used to own a small single axle utility trailer I bought for $300 from a former co-worker. It was just for hauling stuff to the dump. I have, then, basic experience with trailering, but I need more knowledge to find the right one.

I figured out I cannot afford a big trailer and the truck it would take to move my tractor. I need a smaller one that can haul purchases home like a SxS (2800 lbs +/-), attachments I may buy in the future, and to help move things around the property. (trailer will be moved by pickup, tractor and SxS). Minimum size will need to probably be 6'x 12'.

Things I need to know:
pros and cons, given my needs, of 1 axle vs 2 axles
Must-have features...I simply don't know what I don't know
Recommendations on manufacturers and retailers
Tires - is it worth getting upgraded tires for predominantly off-road uses?

Any other advice is welcome. I have 2-3 months to figure out what I need. Thanks!
I am far too lazy to read the other 100 posts in this thread. I'll tack on 101 and for whatever it is worth to you...

1) I like the Stagecoach brand made in east Texas and sold several places. Google the brand. Options are endless/adequate at very least.
2) Those guys are VERY cooperative building exactly what you want with the specific options you want.
3) I strongly recommend the 6'5" width or even a tad wider for many reasons. Our Kubotas MMM deck will not clear without scraping badly in a 6ft bed. Also latches and frames tend to subtract from he actual usable width.
4) I like the 14' bed length because it handles all my small tractors, carries a great load of mulch and is still very maneuverable. I see no excuse for dual axles UNLESS your load exceeds 6000 lbs. or so. Dual axles are a pain for maneuverability.
5) The StageCoach brand uses heavy round pipe for the upper frame -- far stronger than the cheapy angle iron. My options (that work great for me) were:
  • Small length beaver tail which makes a shorter and much easier to handle tailgate plus easier loading
  • Several post holes on the sides for adding verticals if needed
  • Mesh sides to haul mulch, etc.
  • HD axle and tires upgraded to better capacity -- 7000lb axle and bigger stronger tires. ____lube hubs that give you grease fittings

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
Thanks. Zero plans to haul a tractor. My tractor needs would entail buying a much more beefy truck than is in my budget (or my desire to own/drive). A previous thread taught me that it is better in my case to pay for pickup and delivery.

The largest item I would likely haul is a SxS...probably 110" X 62" (9.2'x5.2'). I could probably get by with a 6'x10', but I would go a little bigger for ease of use and such.

I appreciate all of the wisdom and advice.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know?
I am far too lazy to read the other 100 posts in this thread. I'll tack on 101 and for whatever it is worth to you...

1) I like the Stagecoach brand made in east Texas and sold several places. Google the brand. Options are endless/adequate at very least.
2) Those guys are VERY cooperative building exactly what you want with the specific options you want.
3) I strongly recommend the 6'5" width or even a tad wider for many reasons. Our Kubotas MMM deck will not clear without scraping badly in a 6ft bed. Also latches and frames tend to subtract from he actual usable width.
4) I like the 14' bed length because it handles all my small tractors, carries a great load of mulch and is still very maneuverable. I see no excuse for dual axles UNLESS your load exceeds 6000 lbs. or so. Dual axles are a pain for maneuverability.
5) The StageCoach brand uses heavy round pipe for the upper frame -- far stronger than the cheapy angle iron. My options (that work great for me) were:
  • Small length beaver tail which makes a shorter and much easier to handle tailgate plus easier loading
  • HD axle and tires upgraded to better capacity -- 7000lb axle and bigger stronger tires. ____lube hubs that give you grease fittings
I cannot find axle upgrades on the Stagecoach website. I did find them at Texline. I drive right by their factory on my way to my property. I think I am narrowing it down to Stealth 77" x 12', maybe 14'. Single axle with upgrade to 5000 GVWR. I'd like the weight of the trailer to be around 1000 lbs so the UTV can move it around, but also have enough capacity to haul the UTV as well. The UTV my wife wants is about 2100 lbs and can tow 1500.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #107  
I used to own a small single axle utility trailer I bought for $300 from a former co-worker. It was just for hauling stuff to the dump. I have, then, basic experience with trailering, but I need more knowledge to find the right one.

I figured out I cannot afford a big trailer and the truck it would take to move my tractor. I need a smaller one that can haul purchases home like a SxS (2800 lbs +/-), attachments I may buy in the future, and to help move things around the property. (trailer will be moved by pickup, tractor and SxS). Minimum size will need to probably be 6'x 12'.

Things I need to know:
pros and cons, given my needs, of 1 axle vs 2 axles
Must-have features...I simply don't know what I don't know
Recommendations on manufacturers and retailers
Tires - is it worth getting upgraded tires for predominantly off-road uses?

Any other advice is welcome. I have 2-3 months to figure out what I need. Thanks!
I already have a 7' x 20' heavy duty trailer for my tractor. I also needed a nice, light & cheap utility trailer for minor use such as hauling my SxS, mower, etc.. Not wanting to blow a big pile of money for minor uses, I bought a 6' x 12' Karavan trailer. All sides drop down, grate tailgate, etc., for $1200 out the door. They probably went up some in the past year.

Cheap trailer? Yep. But for what I wanted, cheap was at the top of the list. Turns out, it's light enough to either pull or be pulled by my SxS, and/or my 1/2 p/u. I did later add tie-down eye bolts, swing up tongue stand and rear stabilizers. I also mop down the deck with boiled linseed oil, as I do with all of my wood floored trailers, every couple of years or so.

I certainly would not rate the cheap lightweight Karavan as a top notch heavy duty trailer. But for a cheap lightweight trailer for occasional highway use, it fits my need.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #108  
My knowledge of bumper pull trailers has increased dramatically in the last month. Before my brothers passing, I only had a 16 foot, two axle trailer with a pipe rail around it. This has been a very useful trailer that I couldn't imaging not having. My brother has a 20 foot two axle PJ trailer with a much heavier load rating and it uses a bigger ball to tow it. It has jacks in the back to support it, along with ramps for getting a tractor onto it. I've hauled 4 bales of hay on it, and I think it's too heavy for my 2012 F150 with 5.0 engine. But I've hauled 4 bales with my smaller 16 foot trailer, and I've had plenty of power. The trailer is just so much heavier!!!! I'm making he payments on it for now, but once Probate is done and I get the title for it, I'm going to sell it.

He also has two single axle trailers that he used for his duck business. I'm not sure why he had two. One has the fold up ramp in the back that makes getting a mower into it easy. The other doesn't. Both are paid for. I might keep the fold up ramp one so I can haul my riding mower to his place a few times a year. I think I'll use it for hauling a single bale of hay to his place, and another in the bed of my truck instead of hauling 4 at a time. I have 7 bales there now and they are eating a bale a week. Sometimes 2, but either way, I'm ahead of the game and I can deal with just bringing 2 bales at a time now.

I really like how light and easy the smaller single axle trailer pulls. If I only had one trailer, it would be the 16 foot two axle. It's the best of both worlds. But the smaller trailer is definitely nicer to pull anywhere.

Eventually, I think that I need a diesel truck and a gooseneck trailer. Maybe not, but it's become something that I've started thinking about. If I do that, then I would sell the 16 foot trailer and keep the small trailer with the folding ramp. Those two trailers would be the perfect combination in my opinion.

Advantages to buying a second truck would be better at towing, less wear on my daily driver, and a back up if my F150 breaks down. My starter went out last week, and I lost a day of work dealing with that. If it's something bigger, I really need another truck to get to work, so it might as well be something that can handle a bigger trailer, or tow a heavier load better then what I have now.

Here is my truck with my brothers 20 foot trailer. I could put more hay on it if I loaded them all the same way, but this way is easier to load and unload. Since this is about all the weight I want to deal with, I'm good with doing it this way.

313924141_10229066206422515_7429361961841023600_n.jpg

And my 16 foot trailer with 4 round bales.

12106697_10208034883012574_3191795294465370758_n.jpg

Another thing that I like about the smaller trailer is that I only need one strap on the rear bale to hold them all in place. the bigger trailer doesn't have the pipe rail around the sides to keep the hay in place, so I have to strap each bale down separately. Not a huge issue, but it does add time to an already time consuming trip.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #109  

That place is within 15 miles from where I live.

I sold my dual axle, 7,500 lb axle, trailer a few months ago because I rarely used it. I can get Kubota dealer to pick up and deliver my trailer and if push comes to shove I can rent a trailer from U-haul.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #110  
I cannot find axle upgrades on the Stagecoach website. I did find them at Texline. I drive right by their factory on my way to my property. I think I am narrowing it down to Stealth 77" x 12', maybe 14'. Single axle with upgrade to 5000 GVWR. I'd like the weight of the trailer to be around 1000 lbs so the UTV can move it around, but also have enough capacity to haul the UTV as well. The UTV my wife wants is about 2100 lbs and can tow 1500.
You can get pricing info a little easier talking to dealers rather than the factory. Try Topps trailers in Shreveport which is where I bought my Stagecoach trailer with custom (well anyway several specific) features including the heavier capacity axle. Not sure what the weight of my 14' Stagecoach 78" wide is but I move it all over the place with an adapter I bolted on the front of my Kubota BX2200. I think I could easily move one twice whatever it weighs. Trailers are just not that hard to move around unless they are stuck in mud or some oddball situation. I move a 3000lb Pequea twin axle much heavier trailer with one of my B2150 Kubotas also on sloping ground, humps, etc.. Not any challenge. I have no feel for the trailer shuttling capacity of a UTV.