Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,351  
Meh. As mentioned above, there is very little rolling resistance with solid wheels and a solid track under them. A small team of horses could probably do the same. I'd be more impressed if they showed the F150 stopping the train from 50mph...

Rob

When I was a kid the grain elevators would move grain cars with a 40 HP tractor but the guy on the brake screw wheel to work fast to stop the cars from rolling past the loading point.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,352  
Loaded up for a week at camp. IMG_2977.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,353  
I started my towing journey in a 2013 Silverado 2wd with the 5.3L and 3.08 rear axle. Car trailer is 18 steel deck, four feet of it is dove tail.

I rented this dump trailer a couple of times:

The second time, I off loaded over 14k, at the dump. The entire trailer was only rated at that much and my truck only rated to pull 6,900 lbs. I decided I needed a better tow vehicle.

Enter the 2014 F-350 with the 6.2L gasoline engine pushing a 4.30 limited slip differential. Bought it 12/30/2017 with less than 30k miles.

Then, I decided I needed my own dump trailer. 2018 Diamond C 24LPD 16 with some factory upgrades.

I use a GenY hitch. Overall, very pleased with it.

This combo has put a lot of work in. Very capable.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,354  
Like that truck sir. How do you like the 6.2? I loved a diesel when I owned one but don’t think I could justify the extra cost when I only two maybe 20x a year and usually not super heavy(although more equipment or larger hopefully is in my future). I currently have a 6.0 vortec in a 2003 Chevy 2500hd with 4.10 rear end. Pulls pretty good but I doubt I’ll own another Chevy, really dislike their frame coating and I’ve had too much hassle with it since buying my current rig.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,355  
The 6.2L is solid. Fuel mileage isn’t great at interstate speeds or with a lot of stop and go. In 2016, they upped the torque at a lower RPM. That would be cool. 2020 will have a 7.3L. I’m excited to see what that does.

I couldn’t justify the headaches of a new diesel. I regularly haul my trailer GVWR (14,900) and the truck does great, properly loaded. I’ve had over 20k behind it, a couple of times. On the bumper pull, it was slow, but not problematic. With the gooseneck, it wasn’t a big deal.

My truck with the tools, hitch, and me in it weighs about 8,880 lbs.

15k and under, no reason to mess with diesel, from my experience. 18k to 22k is the upper limit of what my truck should be yanking around. Over that 22ish, the diesel (or maybe the new 7.3L) is really better suited.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,356  
The 6.2L is solid. Fuel mileage isn稚 great at interstate speeds or with a lot of stop and go. In 2016, they upped the torque at a lower RPM. That would be cool. 2020 will have a 7.3L. I知 excited to see what that does.

I couldn稚 justify the headaches of a new diesel. I regularly haul my trailer GVWR (14,900) and the truck does great, properly loaded. I致e had over 20k behind it, a couple of times. On the bumper pull, it was slow, but not problematic. With the gooseneck, it wasn稚 a big deal.

My truck with the tools, hitch, and me in it weighs about 8,880 lbs.

15k and under, no reason to mess with diesel, from my experience. 18k to 22k is the upper limit of what my truck should be yanking around. Over that 22ish, the diesel (or maybe the new 7.3L) is really better suited.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,357  
Nice upgrades nik - looks quite capable.

wm - off for a week of wheeling..... you know how to live :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,358  
Saw this beefy trailer on I-66 today. Looks like they just chopped the rear end off a 53’ flat bed. Bet is has a **** of a payload!

IMG_2246.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,359  
Saw this beefy trailer on I-66 today. Looks like they just chopped the rear end off a 53’ flat bed. Bet is has a **** of a payload!

View attachment 615616
No, it's built that way to deliver concrete blocks and other small, but heavy stuff behind a straight truck that has a crane on it. It's probably rated for about 35,000# GVW.

Aaron Z

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,360