Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #1  

bearthebruce

Gold Member
Tractor
'05 Massey Ferguson 1533; '22 LS MT125
I don't like double posting but no one is responding in the repair thread sub-forum so....

One of the hydraulic lift lines to the loader caught a branch and ripped the hose out of the mating coupler. No damage was done to the hose.

We are unable to get the coupler to lock in and mate despite breaking and bleeding all pressure in the lift loop. I suspect something in the coupler is damaged but cannot see anything wrong with it.

Seems these couplers are near custom for Massey. Great... I did get one at the dealer and am planning to try a new one as a solution. Just curious if any here have experienced a failure of this type and if there is something else I should be trying. I won't be on the property for 5 weeks from now so I have time to collect other ideas.

This tractor has the push in to release style female coupler. You push the hose in hard and then yank to pull it out. The release ring is built into the coupler and can not be "activated" except by pushing in the male connector. Oh how I wish it has the more common release ring!

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #2  
I don't like double posting but no one is responding in the repair thread sub-forum so....

One of the hydraulic lift lines to the loader caught a branch and ripped the hose out of the mating coupler. No damage was done to the hose.

We are unable to get the coupler to lock in and mate despite breaking and bleeding all pressure in the lift loop. I suspect something in the coupler is damaged but cannot see anything wrong with it.

Seems these couplers are near custom for Massey. Great... I did get one at the dealer and am planning to try a new one as a solution. Just curious if any here have experienced a failure of this type and if there is something else I should be trying. I won't be on the property for 5 weeks from now so I have time to collect other ideas.

This tractor has the push in to release style female coupler. You push the hose in hard and then yank to pull it out. The release ring is built into the coupler and can not be "activated" except by pushing in the male connector. Oh how I wish it has the more common release ring!
I can say I've never had that problem with my M-F 1526 ! & I'm sorry this no help , But I use my older M-F 50 to go into areas were I don't have to worry about such things , Again no help & I'm just replying so your question is getting out there . Do You have any pictures You can post?

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles
Plug connected

Plug disconnected

Female connector detail - Safeway can't read the model #

I went to our nearest Massey dealer and picked up a new female connector but I do not have confidence that the connector is the issue. I cannot see a problem in the connector. I cannot feel any burrs. The male inserts fully, but does not lock and does not open the internal ball to let fluid flow. Frustrating and weird.

Dealer said, "Ain't never heard of such a thing!" Just the words I wanted to hear! Dealer installed this loader and made all the connections. That was 2 years ago.

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #4  
"I ain't never neither..." Since you have the new female coupling, insert the male into it and see if it mates OK and locks in. I bet it does. You may have to put the female in a vice (or big vicegrips) or something to hold it strongly enough to pull the male back out ! Careful not to damage the new female. If that works then you know some kind of damage was done to the original female connector. My guess is that the "rip-loose incident" somehow damaged the internal spring-loaded return to locked position. You would not be able to see that. That damage seems pretty hard to imagine but apparently has to be.

You probably already have, but I would look for burrs or nicks in EITHER side of the connector pair and maybe do a little fine sanding if you find any. I'd fiddle with it some more and see if, when you insert the male, you can rotate it, wiggle it, tap the female lightly with a small hammer, etc. All that said, even if you get them to latch, since you have the new connector it probably makes sense to go ahead and install it permanently. I would.

OBTW, I think those connectors are often called Pioneer and/or AG connectors which are the least expensive and usually quite reliable. Been around for "100 years."

Thank you @JWR. We have done the twist and wiggle, taps and bumps. It will feel like it is latched and then a wiggle and it pops out. The telltale sign is no fluid flowing. Frustrating to say the least!

We had trouble getting this connector to let go. We wanted to re-route the hose so that it was less susceptible to rubbing on the front tire. We could not free it. Now, we cannot get it locked in. I wonder if this was a bad connector from the get go and should have been replaced when the loader was installed.

I won't be back on the property until mid-May. I will post what we find. Might be good for someone else someday!

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #6  
Thank you @JWR. We have done the twist and wiggle, taps and bumps. It will feel like it is latched and then a wiggle and it pops out. The telltale sign is no fluid flowing. Frustrating to say the least!

We had trouble getting this connector to let go. We wanted to re-route the hose so that it was less susceptible to rubbing on the front tire. We could not free it. Now, we cannot get it locked in. I wonder if this was a bad connector from the get go and should have been replaced when the loader was installed.

I won't be back on the property until mid-May. I will post what we find. Might be good for someone else someday!
I certainly feel for ya ! My farming location (once a month) is 330 miles away and many problems take eons to solve because of that difficulty. Good luck and we look forward to "the rest of the story."

Live in the Philly area - farm is in SW Virginny along the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Floyd, VA. My commute to the farm is 450 miles.. Always go for at least a week. June is mowing month.. I want to have the front loader functional by then. Need it to be down near the ground - not at hood height. I know I can drain fluid to get there... but...

As said, will post the fix in May. Thanks to all for your support.

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #8  
Make sure you can depress the little ball or tip back into EACH half of the coupler. If you are successful, you should get a few drops of oil to leak out.
You should be able to press those tips in with hand pressure, plus maybe a pad or leather glove to allow you to push a little harder. The male tip can be pressed into a tire, the floor, metal side of the tractor, some firm surface.
Use a dowel or a punch or some round device to reach into the female part. Again, firm hand pressure should suffice.
If you can't depress BOTH sides, it won't stay latched.
And if one side or the other won't depress, you need to relieve the hydraulic pressure by loosening a fitting somewhere behind the recalcitrant item, bleeding off a few drops of hydraulic oil onto your floor. Then try to depress the tip again.

BTW, if the loader is off the ground and being held there by a disconnected hose, you will not get it reattached until you relieve the pressure.
If the loader is part way up, jam a 2X4 under it, to lift the loader a little bit. Or jam the 2X4 under the tip of the (leveled) bucket, then roll the bucket to lift the main frame of the loader. Ya gotta relieve the hydraulic pressure.
Then try to depress the ball/tip again. BOTH halves MUST be able to be depressed by hand--after all, you are only using hand pressure to force the coupler together......so any resistance beyond that force will result in a "no-go"

Last edited:
Make sure you can depress the little ball or tip back into EACH half of the coupler. If you are successful, you should get a few drops of oil to leak out.
Yes, fully aware and have done that. Before I install the new one, I will repeat that to be absolutely certain I did as I believe I did.

And if one side or the other won't depress, you need to relieve the hydraulic pressure by loosening a fitting somewhere behind the recalcitrant item, bleeding off a few drops of hydraulic oil onto your floor. Then try to depress the tip again.

I did do this on the male side. The female side is connected to the hard pipe. Only way to release is to loosen the connector. As my first time trying to effect such a repair, I was un-certain as the best method to loosen. Talked to a tech at the dealer and he gave me the pointers.

If the loader is part way up, jam a 2X4 under it, to lift the loader a little bit. Or jam the 2X4 under the tip of the (leveled) bucket, then roll the bucket to lift the main frame of the loader. Ya gotta relieve the hydraulic pressure.

Yep, did that. Once we cracked the loader cylinder lines, the bucket dropped slightly onto the 2x4 holding the bucket up. I didn't want the bucket crashing to the ground - crashing onto the concrete floor. I knew relieving pressure would cause it to want to move. It is now fully resting on the 2x4.

@Ipakiz, thank you for your post and suggestions. I will re-visit them all to make sure I have free ball movement in the connectors.

/ Massey Ferguson 1533 built 2005 - Loader hydraulic coupler troubles #10  
Try swapping the hoses at A and B.

In your picture the male connector is not in far enough to be seated:
PXL_20220318_193603218.MP.jpg