3pt ballast design questions

/ 3pt ballast design questions #21  
I see it is already built but the point of a counterweight is to get weight behind the rear axle to take weight off the front axle. But you have to compromise with maneoverability. I would have moved the weight back a little. but you don't have a huge amount of capacity to play with so I think you will be fine.

I filled my tires and used a counterweight on my old b7800. before filling the tires I was always using the diff lock in the woods. after filling I rarely used the diff lock.

I went the other way around with my counterweight. I built a frame out of steel and dropped a cement block inside it so I could remove the weight and use the frame. I have hooks and a receiver hitch on the frame and I have been planning on adding a vice to my counterweight for the last 8 years but never get around to it. I also have brackets that let me hold up branches off the ground when cutting firewood. really saves the back when turning small branches into firewood.

/ 3pt ballast design questions #22  
you might have trouble seeing the ball when hooking up a trailer. I formed a cut out into my block before pouring. will try to get a pic tonight

/ 3pt ballast design questions #23  
I like the idea of rear forks as the first step. Forks will get a lot of general use. Then something the forks can carry, as the counterweight.

And if you cast something in concrete, by all means include some vertical pipes for tool carriers, and a box, or mounts for a box, to carry things.

Here's a way to make the hitch portion of a cast or welded ballast: Cat1 pins pressed/welded into 1.25" square tubing.

20200119_113749r3ptpin-in-125sqtube-jpg.699996

/ 3pt ballast design questions
Almost finished. Made a crude box out of some pvc deck cut offs. It fits down over the concrete and is secured by the top link pin. Chainsaw scabbard is rather sloppy, but I'm expecting an updated version in 5 years.....
Now....is it firewood season yet?
Wish I would have cast a large D ring on the back near the top. I skipped it because I thought I could always run a chain around the top link bracket. This tool caddy kind of rules that out. Most of my pulling will be from the ball hitch anyway.

Attachments

• 20220729_185353.jpg
    20220729_185353.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • 20220729_185427.jpg
    20220729_185427.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
   / 3pt ballast design questions #25  
here is a pic of mine. you can see where I had to add a second receiver tube because I failed to take into account the length of the legs in the final design phase.

Attachments

• counterweight.jpg
    counterweight.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 90