Bolt Size Help

/ Bolt Size Help #81  
So some confirmation of M14-1.5.
Interesting they upsized that hole from the MX/grand L.

Makes me wonder what the original use is for those holes? What option or accessory or use did Kubota have in mind when they machined those holes in that exact spot in the casting?

That's just a regular ole metric bolt.
Komatsu uses JIS. Also referred to as "Komatsu threads".

/ Bolt Size Help #83  
   / Bolt Size Help #84  
I see no mention of a 30° thread pitch. The topic is bolt size/thread pitch, not flare fittings. Or did I miss something?

It's a 30 degree cone seat, shared with JIS. JIC is 37 degree. I about mentioned Komatsu when JIS was mentioned, but there seems to be lots of confusion already. Then we could discuss DIN, French, and various other hydraulic standards from around the world.

The JIS got us way off in the weeds.

Last edited:
   / Bolt Size Help #85  
It's a 30 degree cone seat, shared with JIS. JIC is 37 degree. I about mentioned Komatsu when JIS was mentioned, but there seems to be lots of confusion already. Then we could discuss DIN, French, and various other hydraulic standards from around the world.

The JIS got us way off in the weeds.
Yup, this thread went way in the weeds

I'm sure they have been several oddball threads for nuts and bolts over the years.....but today....it's really just metric and sae.

And since it's a modern machine.....it's not gonna be some exotic thread no one has heard of.

/ Bolt Size Help #86  
DO NOT depend on any large retail chain of stores. Go to a True Value, Ace, or any independent hardware store. Someone there can match up what you have. Fastenall is also a good option, but you may not have one in a reasonable distance.

/ Bolt Size Help #87  
DO NOT depend on any large retail chain of stores. Go to a True Value, Ace, or any independent hardware store. Someone there can match up what you have. Fastenall is also a good option, but you may not have one in a reasonable distance.
Fastenal, Grainger, and McMaster-Carr. All online. If they don't have it, it isn't made.

/ Bolt Size Help
Update, Sort of? I was able to get some bolts and get to the tractor today. 14mm is too small and goes in the hole without even touching, However 5/8 bolt seems to be about the right size and will try to start a thread but i did not force it for fear of cross threading. So here is my plan, I am going to get the paint out of the hole, gotta find a small enough wire brush or had thought of a dremel wire wheel also. while i am at it i am going to get a 5/8 fine thread bolt just in case and a 16mm 1.75 and 2.0 thread just in case. I am bound to be close if the 5/8 standard sae is trying to thread. It was late and didn't get to fool with it much this evening but i think i am making progress.

/ Bolt Size Help #89  
...sounds like a plan. (y)

/ Bolt Size Help #90  
I don't think they make a 16x1.75.

You already tried the 16x1.5.....that only leaves 2.0 pitch if they are 16.

All the Kubota I have had....and from what others here have posted.....those casting holes are fine thread..

Now I wondering if the 16x1.5 bolts are indeed the correct bolts....but the threads just need cleaned.