Bolt Size Help

/ Bolt Size Help #91  
Update, Sort of? I was able to get some bolts and get to the tractor today. 14mm is too small and goes in the hole without even touching, However 5/8 bolt seems to be about the right size and will try to start a thread but i did not force it for fear of cross threading. So here is my plan, I am going to get the paint out of the hole, gotta find a small enough wire brush or had thought of a dremel wire wheel also. while i am at it i am going to get a 5/8 fine thread bolt just in case and a 16mm 1.75 and 2.0 thread just in case. I am bound to be close if the 5/8 standard sae is trying to thread. It was late and didn't get to fool with it much this evening but i think i am making progress.
5/8=.625
.625*25.4 =15.875 (most major diameter or outer diameter are a little small for clearance).

I think you are on the right track and another here warned about this type of overlap where even the pitch ALMOST fits.

If you have a bench grinder or Dremel, you can grind a cut into the first few threads imitating a tap. With the right bolt, this becomes an area for grime and paint to collect just like a tap does for chips. If you cut it right and leave the sharp edge on the left side of your cut, it can also help clean up some burrs as well.

Glad you are close. After 9 pages of posts, I think we are all invested in this now and need closure. :)

/ Bolt Size Help #92  
Update, Sort of? I was able to get some bolts and get to the tractor today. 14mm is too small and goes in the hole without even touching, However 5/8 bolt seems to be about the right size and will try to start a thread but i did not force it for fear of cross threading. So here is my plan, I am going to get the paint out of the hole, gotta find a small enough wire brush or had thought of a dremel wire wheel also. while i am at it i am going to get a 5/8 fine thread bolt just in case and a 16mm 1.75 and 2.0 thread just in case. I am bound to be close if the 5/8 standard sae is trying to thread. It was late and didn't get to fool with it much this evening but i think i am making progress.
Can you take a picture of these holes? I went back and looked at your original post with the picture and those holes on my 7060 are 14mm. Are you looking at holes further back toward the drawbar bracket?

/ Bolt Size Help #93  
I could be wrong but I though JIS was for hydraulics and pipes and such. Not really anything pertaining to nuts and bolt threads.

Maybe there is? but I'd be 99.99999% sure its just a metric bolt
Think you may mean JIC.

/ Bolt Size Help #94  
Just to (hopefully) end (or at least better inform) the side discussion on JIS vs JIC I'm going to put a few links into a single post that may help define the differences:

JIS hydraulic fittings:

JIC hydraulic fittings

and JIS machine screws/bolts:

/ Bolt Size Help #95  
Think you may mean JIC.
Nope. Read the thread. This is the third time someone has questioned my post. Even "thinking" I meant to say JIC doesnt fit the context or the fact that I was replying to RoyJackson who first mentioned JIC and EVEN spelled it out as JAPANESE INDUSTRIAL COUNCIL

So maybe one more time for those in the back: I MEANT TO SAY JIS IN MY POST

I even edited the original post to maybe (hopefully) clarify

/ Bolt Size Help #96  
only way to figure out what you have is by a couple bolts coarse and fine threaded metric bolts and try them. no way to really measure a threaded hole for bolt size, but i am sure they will be metric size

/ Bolt Size Help #98  
Be sure to clean the threads good. Castings threads don’t tolerate dirt.
IMG_2020.JPG

Attaching anything to casting require some thought and make sure the casting isn’t the weak link. Busted castings are no fun. Seen twice where sub frame mounted backhoes have busted the tractor castings.

IMG_2014.JPG

Probably some bolts your thread size on your loader or grill guard that would be the right size to test and take to get some.

Consider using all four holes for a skid pan.

/ Bolt Size Help
Bolt Update....here we go i have had time to fiddle with it some in between trying to do another million things. 1st off my tap and die set only goes to 1/2 inch bummer, that's just too small. Second 14 mm is just too small and 16mm is too big to start or even go in the hole. Third, and the pictures I will post show both a fine thread then a coarse thread 5/8 bolt starting into the holes. They will start however the fine thread just isn't it best I can tell. The coarse thread will seem to continue to screw in but it is extremely tight and i stopped after about a quarter turn out of fear! I have not worked out if this is a paint issue yet or a wrong pitch issue.....still trying things...and i will keep updating Thank's to all the third picture is just the hole itself showing the threads...

Attachments

• thumbnail_KIMG1889.jpg
    thumbnail_KIMG1889.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 70
  • thumbnail_KIMG1891.jpg
    thumbnail_KIMG1891.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 68
  • thumbnail_KIMG1890.jpg
    thumbnail_KIMG1890.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 68
   / Bolt Size Help #100  
Rule of thumb: Cast iron and aluminum will always have coarse threads, whether SAE or metric.