Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy?

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy?
   / Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #52  
I want to find a smaller log chain, 5/16" G70, with a slip hook on one end and a grab hook on the other, and no spring clip on the slip hook. I can't find it though.

Amazon has it in 14', perfect, except there's a spring clip. I've been pinched and poked enough times already, no more spring clips (unless it was a lifting thing that deserved it). They also have clevis slip hooks without, but only in quantities of like a half dozen, which are $$$.

Also tried TSC, Harbor Freight, McMaster (where I could make one up but the prices are quite high), Home Depot.

Any good bets I'm missing? Where's your favorite "Log Chains R Us" store?

Thanks!!
US Cargo Control, all sizes and ratings

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #53  
... momma has me stop at just about every garage sale & antique store when we go shopping - I get 15-20 mins @ feed store and the shopping trip is all day
Don't overdo it! I'm 20 years in to discarding inherited stuff I'll never use here at this small ranch (apple orchard).

Photo I posted her in 2004, broken furniture Dad thought I would repair some day (no!) and un-needed insulation stored in the basement that became rat condos.

500209-dscn4934r-jpg.27814

Photo from a year ago this week. I have all the drill bits I need in the tractor shop and more over in the workshop with the big drill press. These are the excess in dead storage.
20210909_122627rextradrills-jpg.712886

And a photo I posted here earlier this year when someone described the same thing and asked for information on his. "TrueTemper, around 1954, likely army surplus". I have another one with handle, don't know why I've kept this rusted one.
20220307_134104rsmallmattock-jpg.736737

It seriously took years to whittle down collections like those drills to a less overwhelming mess so I can actually go and find something. I'm still in the mode where repairing the specialized tool (sharpening the spokeshaves, greasing the ancient HiLift jacks for example) to start a project usually takes longer than doing the project.

Dad was a child of the Depression, anything he could buy at a yard sale for less than 3 cents on the dollar, he bought. Even when it duplicated several similar already here. How many house foundation hydraulic jacks is the right number to keep? For what? :p

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #54  
... How many house foundation hydraulic jacks is the right number to keep? ...
I think it really depends on "how firm a foundation" you have... 🙃😉😁

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #56  
Just buy choker cables instead of chains. That’s what most loggers used to use before they converted to mechanical harvesters.

For real heavy pulling I use a cable choker behind my dozer. Real logs. For little stuff, a chain. Sticks. Always good leather gloves with the cable choker.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #57  
Everyone is overlooking the pawn shop bargains. Flea markets. Junk sales.
I'm joining this discussion late, but tossing in a word of caution if you do the flea market/junk sale route. Check the chain for signs of stretch or joining with repair links of some sort. I was given about 20 feet of 5/16 chain some years ago, it was worth exactly what I paid for it--NOTHING at all.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #58  
I'm joining this discussion late, but tossing in a word of caution if you do the flea market/junk sale route. Check the chain for signs of stretch or joining with repair links of some sort. I was given about 20 feet of 5/16 chain some years ago, it was worth exactly what I paid for it--NOTHING at all.
I always check that. Must check pretty good because I haven't ever had a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220721_165318.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165318.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220721_165309.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165309.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
   / Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #59  
I needed to buy a chain once. I've got (an approx) 90 hp industrial loader/backhoe. I wanted to get a chain that would give it a fight.

I finally found at Labonville, a grade 100 alloy 3/8" chain that was made by Pewag.
The links were SQUARE so they bite into a log with hardly any slipping.

I can attest that the square links bite very well. I bought a slip hook for one end and a grab hook for other. I understand it's not as heavy as 'normal' 3/8 chain (but have never weighed anything)

I've owned this chain for probably 20 years now. I've used it to hoist things with my loader bucket, I've used it to wrestle things while using the backhoe bucket. I have never hesitated on applying whatever power I've needed to get the job done and (thus far) it's always performed for me.

If I needed another/more, I would personally, try to find this Pewag, square link chain again.