Loading issues on Dump Trailer

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #131  
I got a 6x12 10K dump trailer earlier this year. Due to tow limits of my 1/2-ton truck, I never purchase more than 3 tons of material. When loaded properly, the trailer tows great. But I'd say 80% of the time, the local yards load me with a forward bias, creating too much tongue weight. I picked up three loads today and they were all forward biased, some worse than others.

I installed a W.D.H. to help in these situations, and it does what it is supposed to but won't cure poor loading or too much tongue weight. While pulling onto the scale for my first load this morning, I carefully noted the measurements as each axle went onto the scale, before and after being loaded. While eating lunch I did some math. The trailer has only 300# tongue weight when empty, which matches what I measured with a bathroom scale a couple months ago. When loaded too far forward, tongue weight was 1140#, more than my truck is meant to handle and visually way too much even with a W.D.H. If loaded evenly, it should have been in the 700-800# range.

I'm trying to decide how to deal with this. At this point, my only solution is to carefully raise the trailer bed to shift some of the material rearward, but that is a pain to do and needs careful judgement (not all loads slide the same). I am wondering if I should fab up some sort of sealed chamber at the front of the trailer bed to block off volume so that material cannot physically occupy the front couple feet of the bed (it would have to be angled to force material to flow to the rear). Somehow I need to prevent operators from loading with a forward bias and the only solution I can think of is to eliminate that volume. Any other ideas?
You can’t fix stupid, but you can teach.
Have the loader operator load directly over the center of your wheels.
If he doesn’t load it to your satisfaction, tell him that you have to dump the load, so he can get it right.
You do that once, he won’t screw it up again.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #132  
You can’t fix stupid, but you can teach.
Have the loader operator load directly over the center of your wheels.
If he doesn’t load it to your satisfaction, tell him that you have to dump the load, so he can get it right.
You do that once, he won’t screw it up again.

Or you get your trailer severely overloaded the next time. Or you get banned from the quarry. They already don’t like you guys. It wouldn’t take much to get banned entirely.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #133  
Only had a problem once, younger operator, dumped the load, the young fellow was new in his job, appreciated the feedback. Every time I get a load there, the guys are great, whether it’s crushed stone or just gravel.

Perhaps you need to communicate with your quarry guys.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #134  
Or you get your trailer severely overloaded the next time. Or you get banned from the quarry. They already don’t like you guys. It wouldn’t take much to get banned entirely.
Not all are like that, I haven't been in a few years, but the quarry nearest me has an area with piles of the most common materials and a skid steer to load the smaller trucks/trailers.
That said, when I get 5tons they usually load it with a wheel loader from the main area but I've never had a problem getting a ton or 2 and seem happy for my business no matter how much I get.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #135  
Not all are like that, I haven't been in a few years, but the quarry nearest me has an area with piles of the most common materials and a skid steer to load the smaller trucks/trailers.
That said, when I get 5tons they usually load it with a wheel loader from the main area but I've never had a problem getting a ton or 2 and seem happy for my business no matter how much I get.

That sounds more like a landscaping yard vs a gravel quarry.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #136  
No...the "50" has been around since '53. read the link I posted. They didn't make a 550 or 650 back in the day, but 750, 850 and 950 were common.

For Sale: 1975 Ford F750 in Mankato, Minnesota

For Sale: 1978 Ford F750 in Cadillac, Michigan

1969 Ford F850 Fire Truck

1962 Ford F950 Fire Truck
Read the link, don't see anything referencing the -50 designation, were all the -50 the BIG JOB versions? Those were kinda a different class of truck that turned into the L series later on.
It's strange all of my service and parts references from when I use to work on them don't list any of the -50 designations until after '99

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #138  
Here's the smaller load area
Screenshot_20210926-222257_Chrome.jpg

And the full quarry
Screenshot_20210926-222500_Chrome.jpg

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #139  
I've always thought a gravel-hauling trailer should be built small enough and strong enough to never be overloaded. But most dump trailers I see are used for lightweight stuff most of the time.

Bruce
Guess it depends on what you’re hauling. I use mine for firewood, earth, and compost mostly. You can pile up a good looking load, crushed stone, well not too impressive looking, but it sure is heavy!