Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #31  
Now I am trying to dry up all the old oil... No matter how much you wipe it down, it is still oily.
Oil has soaked through the pores in the steel. As much as you wipe up, it will keep bubbling back to the surface.

How about something like Gunk HD Engine degreaser?

Maybe warming the steel with a propane torch to help bake out the oil?

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
Next step is replacing the wire harness. Anyone ever do this? Is there an easy way to snake the new wire harness thru all the hydraulic hoses?

Thanks
Frank

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #33  
Two choices on wiring. Tape the new wire to the old wire and pull it through or fish it with a stronger wire

I don't know your machine but you may want to re design your wiring. My machine suffers from a poor design so when it fails I am going to do a major rebuild

I was able to pull the new harness through with ease. Thanks Woodland Farms, i taped the new to the old and just pulled it through.

I need a new voltage regulator for the 25hp Kohler. Is there a specific regulator for Kohler? I've looked on line not exactly sure what the voltage regulator does, so not sure which one is best for the Power Trac. Terry said he doesn't have any at PT, and I should be able to find one pretty easily on line.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #36  
I need a new voltage regulator for the 25hp Kohler. Is there a specific regulator for Kohler? I've looked on line not exactly sure what the voltage regulator does, so not sure which one is best for the Power Trac.
The voltage regulator takes the rippled AC output of the alternator, rectifies it to DC, and then reduces/controls it at about 14.5V. A non-functional regulator can damage the battery with too high a voltage, or maybe provide no voltage out at all.

Assuming you have a CH740 25 hp engine, you need a Kohler 2540332S. Here are some places to buy:
Amazon.com : Kohler 25 43 32-S Rectifier Regulator : Lawn Mower Deck Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Regulator/Rectifier [254332-S] for Kohler Lawn Equipment | eReplacement Parts
Kohler Part # 2540332S Regulator Rectifier Efi [2540332S] : Kohler Engines and Kohler Engine Parts Store, Genuine Kohler Engine Parts

Any tips for cutting the shaft? Not looking forward to this part.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #38  
Any tips for cutting the shaft? Not looking forward to this part.

Talk to Terry at Power Trac. He has some suggestions. He told me to keep a wet rag on the shaft to keep the oil seal from being damaged by the cutting heat.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #39  
Use a chop saw with a fine tooth bimetal blade (unless you have a porta-band saw).

Take the cut slow; sort of like grinding HSS when you don't want to let the material heat up. Keep your hand on the shaft, and when it starts to get uncomfortable (130F), stop, pour some water on it, wait for it to cool down, rinse and repeat.

After you get done, you probably want to clean up the edges with a angle grinder. Again, take it slow, checking temperature frequently.

Thanks Tim & Bob. Not sure just yet how I am going to cut it. Bought some new carbide blades for my reciprocating saw, just nervous about cutting a shaft on a brand new $1600 engine. I asked Terry today what is the worst case scenario if I mess it up, he said you'll have a new boat anchor. Just what I needed to hear. lol