Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Trygg chains installation

/ Trygg chains installation #51  
I finally got around to making one of those chain tighteners. I had all the materials laying around, so the cost was basically nothing other than my time. I suspect I will appreciate it when I need to install the new Trygg chains.
IMG_0524.JPG

/ Trygg chains installation #53  
Nice work..... even painted Kubota orange!!

The tool will be a big help

Dave M7040

It was the pics you posted that gave me the inspiration to make one and the bright orange color will make it easier to find in my messy shop.:laughing:

Thanks for posting those pics.

John

/ Trygg chains installation
Nice work really neat ! What size of threaded rod are you using ? I might want to build one myself someday. Probably painted red :laughing:

/ Trygg chains installation #55  
Hahah overinflating the tires is not a bad idea :laughing: but it might be my last post here before I hit 120 psi :confused2:
I will try to adjust them the best I can. I just found it weird that they are almost a foot longer of what they are supposed to.

LOL, one size fits all!

/ Trygg chains installation #56  
Nice work really neat ! What size of threaded rod are you using ? I might want to build one myself someday. Probably painted red :laughing:

I just winged it and used 1/2" rod.

I'm pretty sure the chains don't care what color you paint the tightener,lol.

Ok nice. That tool is going make install easier for sure, wish I had something like this when I installed my chains.

I agree... chains don't care about the color since they didnt care about my raging red frosted face installing them at -15°C lol :laughing::laughing:

Give us some update of how your tool help after your chains are installed.

/ Trygg chains installation #58  
Seems like you could use a high lift jack to tighten chains pretty easily.

/ Trygg chains installation #59  
Seems like you could use a high lift jack to tighten chains pretty easily.

Before investing in the TRYGG tool I tried all sorts of other stuff. Pipe clamps, bar clamps, ratchet straps........

You need a tool which you can swing out of your way while still maintaining the tension.

Wrestling with a heavy jack might be fine for someone young but.........

Dave M7040

After 2 days of mild temperature (7-8°C) and some rain, today temp dropped to -20°C covering the entire driveways with a nice hard smooth layer of ice so I had the "chance" to really test the chains when hauling firewood in loader bucket for the house. I got to say that these chains are amazing gripping through ice making the tractor safe to operate when close to buildings and on steep areas.

Steering was non-existent on that rink quality ice... steering brakes took care of that. From no cab to cab and no chains to chains I think I'm going to enjoy winter a lot more this year :licking:

Last edited: