Wood splitters

/ Wood splitters #51  
I had a Didier 28 ton - stand alone - splitter. Did just fine on the wood I have here. The cycle time wasn't that fast. But - faster than I was.

/ Wood splitters #52  
Most of that wood isn’t split. If I had a dollar for everyone I’ve heard say they can split wood faster by hand I’d turn up my thermostat and not worry about wood. If I had a dollar for everyone I’ve actually seen do it I’d have $0 dollars. Let’s see you split some 30” pieces by hand. Yea sure eventually it would get done but you’d probably manage 2 of them before you were beat.

/ Wood splitters #53  
In my area log splitters are getting a premium this year. I bought mine last year about this time so I have an excellent understanding about what has available and their prices last year. This year is seems there are WAY fewer and the ones that were $600 last year are $800 this year. Just an observation. Maybe supply chain issues catching up with the industry? Higher metal prices?
Higher metal prices, also a shortage of tube steel used to make hydraulic cylinders. Where are the splitters from the box stores made? If they are made in China there are also heavy shipping delays.

Additionally sometimes you can get into really weird component shortages that cause issues. We had a desktop computer order that was delayed for over a month because the foam padding (shipping material) was unavailable for that model. We had another order for a few dozen workstations hit issues because the keyboard they shipped with was back ordered for months. We went with the same keyboard that had 1 USB port instead of two, and the systems were able to be shipped in a few days. When it comes to new models its a crap-shoot, sometimes the prior get being replaced is quite available, other times the vendor focus's production on the new one and the old one is very quickly EOS.

Last edited:
   / Wood splitters #54  
Many log splitter companies inflate the ton rating. You have to get the relief valve pressure and cylinder diameter to calculate the real force the splitter can put out. Some of the premium brands don't inflate the rating, so they may sound weak if you're used to believing the manufacturer ratings.

I wanted at least a 4" cylinder, ended up with a 4.5". It's 28 tons as advertised and the calculation pretty much matches that. I can still find stuff that will make it struggle. We have some really difficult splitting wood here- bay, coast live oak, eucalyptus. The first time I tried to hand split eucalyptus, the splitting maul bounced right off the round.

/ Wood splitters #55  
SuperSplit has been waiting for engines since August. They are at least 10 weeks behind.
Not what I was hoping for but better than tractor parts. Moving on to my 2nd choice

/ Wood splitters #56  
Super Split 220VAC electric owner here. Best splitter on the market for my needs and wood.
Just split and stacked 5 cords 3 weeks ago with my nephew in a few hours. He's never done it before. My wife is a better stacker!! LOL

I removed and stored the Honda engine option on the shelf.

/ Wood splitters #57  
A friend and I are lucky enough to be able to get enough wood locally to keep three families in enough wood to keep their wood stoves fed all winter. We cut the trees into 11 foot logs and load them into a dump trailer to be moved to our wood yard. We buck them up when we are ready to split.

I was lucky enough to find a used home made splitter a long time ago for a very minimal price. Since then I have replaced everything but the basic frame and I added a log lift. Now I am in the middle of adding an adjustable 4 way wedge. (I plan to post pics in the build it yourself forum when I'm done)

I use a 13 HP engine powering a high flow 2 stage pump through an auto return valve which gives me a very fast cycle time. If I can get 4 of us together we can split a cord an hour including bucking up the logs. I use IBC cages to hold the wood which really cuts the amount of time it takes to stack the splits.

I prefer a separate splitter since we use the tractor to move the logs next to the splitter to be bucked up.

/ Wood splitters #58  
I always get a kick out of posters here telling someone else what "they" want. lol

I prefer my 3 point splitter over a stand alone by far......I'll bet you your splitter uses more gas than my splitter...

I don't need my tractor for "other operations", while I'm splitting, all I need it for is splitting, and it works fantastic for that...

SR
What brand do you have?

/ Wood splitters #60  
Looking at a couple of different wood splitters. My dad has had a timberwolf tw3 for quite a long time now, ive always liked it as its got a lot more splitting force compared to something you would pick up at a farm store. Anyways, I bought a new dk5010 and my original plan was to buy the same splitter. Recently I came across an Easton made ultra wood splitter. Seems stupid fast and definitely has my attention. What are your guys thoughts? Tractor mounted tw3, which BTW comes with pto kit so it doesnt run off the tractors hydraulics or the easton ultra stand up splitter?
Hey Darren33 ! I just wanted to put in that I've been using a 3 point hydraulic 25 ton log spliter for over 20 years with no problems & I bought it from Northern Tools & you can split wood horizontal or vertical & I prefer vertical that way I just roll the rounds into place & there is no real heavy lifting & while it is rather slow it is reliable & steady & yes I have another newer tractor that does not have to be committed splitting wood & it has a fel on it so I an bring rounds over to the wood pile & also stack if need be & as far as rounds they are allot easier to roll into place than lift.
IMG_20201203_160905.jpg
IMG_20201203_160905.jpg
IMG_20201211_155854.jpg
IMG_20201211_155854.jpg