Do we need a warm garage....

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #91  
I try to keep my flue 250 - 475. Any higher and you're wasting heat up the flue, or could start a chimney fire. Any cooler than the 250 and you start building creosote. The worst scenario is cool fires building creosote, then an over burn like the glowing flue in the picture which will ignite the creosote build up.

/ Do we need a warm garage....
That would have freaked me out!!!!

If you have one of those laser heat sensor guns get a reading on that if it happens again!!!

Maybe someone here has a laser sensor's and can put on the picture and get a reading. When I shut the bottom door it cooled back down.
But isn't SS stove pipe supposed to take more heat atleast I hope so. I notice the double wall chimney pipe got hot enough that I couldn't put my hand on it, thought it was only supposed to just get warm to touch, that part makes me nervous, cause I lost my shop 3 years ago to fire and that had SS stove pipe inside the chimney block, maybe SS stove pipe is no good.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #93  
I try to keep my flue 250 - 475. Any higher and you're wasting heat up the flue, or could start a chimney fire. Any cooler than the 250 and you start building creosote. The worst scenario is cool fires building creosote, then an over burn like the glowing flue in the picture which will ignite the creosote build up.

Very well stated!!!!

I used to try to keep my wood stove going all night in my shop. That meant stocking it with wood and shutting it down tight. I had to clean my chimney several times each Winter. Well,,,,, I got older and more lazy. Now I let burn out in the evening and depend on the propane furnace to keep things warm til morning. I quit doing that "just before bedtime" stocking of the stove. Now I clean my chimney at the beginning of the season and it's good all Winter. I was building 90% of that creosote/soot with that last burn of the night because of having it shut down so tight.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #94  
Maybe someone here has a laser sensor's and can put on the picture and get a reading. When I shut the bottom door it cooled back down.
But isn't SS stove pipe supposed to take more heat atleast I hope so. I notice the double wall chimney pipe got hot enough that I couldn't put my hand on it, thought it was only supposed to just get warm to touch, that part makes me nervous, cause I lost my shop 3 years ago to fire and that had SS stove pipe inside the chimney block, maybe SS stove pipe is no good.

I too lost a shop 7 years ago to fire. Although mine wasn't from a wood stove. I just think when you are heating metal to the point of glowing you are at risk. Regardless of what type of metal. I'll get a battery for my sensor tomorrow and run some tests. I'm NOT going to get my chimney to the glowing point though!!!! :)

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #95  
I too lost a shop 7 years ago to fire. Although mine wasn't from a wood stove. I just think when you are heating metal to the point of glowing you are at risk. Regardless of what type of metal. I'll get a battery for my sensor tomorrow and run some tests. I'm NOT going to get my chimney to the glowing point though!!!! :)
Richard, how did you lose your shop?

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #96  
Yup why would someone want to work in the cold?.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #97  
1481505013919.jpg

We have a LOPI stove with single wall pipe going into a square masonry chimney with clay liner.

I use a chimguard magnetic thermometer and keep it in the orange.

Always burn oak and hickory that's been split sitting under a canvas tarp for 5 or 6 months.

Clean everything every other year and don't get a whole lot. Most build up is in the tin pipe.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #98  
I bucked some Bay Laurel that was good size and toppled near the creek... had to move it so I cut and split it.

Very disappointed... really not worth the effort to burn but I had to give it a try...

I've heard the same about willow. Haven't tried it myself.

Where I live, good wood is so easy to come by, for free, that I can afford to be a bit of a wood snob, so I probably will never find out for myself.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #99  
   / Do we need a warm garage.... #100  
I have a high efficiency stove with no exposed flue so I can't measure it, but I've measured the doors over 900 pushing 1000 degrees. My Grandpa has the more traditional wood stove. He got it hot enough to droop the top and its 3/8 thick steel. He was burning kiln dried hickory rejected axe handles.