Nuclear fallout information

/ Nuclear fallout information #71  
The old song, 'nowehere to run, nowhere to hide' comes to mind. Slow death or quick death, you choose.

/ Nuclear fallout information #72  
See post #2 in this thread. ;)

I was born in 1961 and never had to do those drills.

I do remember air raid sirens. They tested them every Thursday. The Russians are coming!

Today, all of those air raid sirens are now tornado sirens.

And, unfortunately, they don't sound nearly as nice.

The high school got rid of all the civil defense gear when I was there and the huge tower with diesel powered siren at the top also went away when that fire house closed.

Since then a new pole mounted siren went up in the neighborhood and sounds at noon Saturdays.

/ Nuclear fallout information #73  
I vaguely remember sticking our heads under our desks. Used to get in trouble for making funny faces at the other kids and making them laugh. Of course we were taking it all very seriously.

/ Nuclear fallout information #75  
I vaguely remember sticking our heads under our desks. Used to get in trouble for making funny faces at the other kids and making them laugh. Of course we were taking it all very seriously.
:ROFLMAO:

/ Nuclear fallout information #78  
I hope the food in your lunchroom was better than ours...
Didn't have one in grade school. The food was actually was pretty tasty in high school. Cheeseburgers, fish sandwiches, really good french fries. But no lunch counter there.

It was at a Bonnie Doon's restaurant (local place) that I dropped something on the floor, got down to look for it, looked up under the counter, and yuck! 😂

/ Nuclear fallout information #79  
Didn't have one in grade school. The food was actually was pretty tasty in high school. Cheeseburgers, fish sandwiches, really good french fries. But no lunch counter there.

It was at a Bonnie Doon's restaurant (local place) that I dropped something on the floor, got down to look for it, looked up under the counter, and yuck! 😂
I never did either until High School...

In grade school everyone brought their lunch but even through 4th grade a carton of milk cost a nickel and it was the waxed carton with the flat top and a wax folded plug in the corner.

The big issue was thermos bottles.

One drop and it shattered and sometimes it was not until you poured did the glass fall out.

Later parents could sign up for a milk plan and prepay and it went to 6 and 8 cents and then 10 cents quickly on the plan.

/ Nuclear fallout information #80  
I never did either until High School...

In grade school everyone brought their lunch but even through 4th grade a carton of milk cost a nickel and it was the waxed carton with the flat top and a wax folded plug in the corner.

The big issue was thermos bottles.

One drop and it shattered and sometimes it was not until you poured did the glass fall out.

Later parents could sign up for a milk plan and prepay and it went to 6 and 8 cents and then 10 cents quickly on the plan.
In grade school, you had to either bring your own lunch, or go home at lunch to eat. (Catholic school). But they'd sell you a milk for a nickel. They'd take attendance in class right after mass, then ask if you wanted milk today, white or chocolate. Man, if you ordered milk and then didn't have the nickel come lunch time, they'd look at you like you were stealing the crown jewels. Our cartons had the peaks, not the flats. It was a big deal to be able to only open it enough to get a straw in. If you opened it all the way, it would invariably get knocked over and pour out.

I remember a few people with the glass lined thermoses breaking then them bursting into tears because of what their mom would say.

Around 4th grade I started going home for lunch every day. Usually had either a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit, or a PBJ or cheese sandwich. Still love those things. :)