Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt.

/ Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt. #61  
A couple years ago when we built we had a well se up similar to yours with a deep reservoir. I think we were getting something like 5 gpm, I’ll see if I can find our completion report. Anyway, the bank wanted a water test done on it to make sure it was potable so my driller shocked the well with chlorine and told me to run it out until I couldn’t smell it any more after a couple days. I ran it for 60 minutes and it went dry. I was like “WTF”. Was not expecting that. We’ve been living here for 3 years and not one instance of daily living did we run it dry.

I'm hoping that's the result here as well. Assuming the pump output exceeded the flow input. Under normal conditions you wouldn't continuously pump a large gallon amount to exhaust the reservoir. This would give the vein flow time to replenish the stored amount.

/ Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt.
Normally that's done to get storage capacity. The well shaft is probably small, 6" maybe?? Hopefully he'll tell us.

Yes, the hit at 180 wasn't super strong, but decent. They kept going to give me a significant reservoir. I still haven't heard back from the driller, but we'll see.

I went over last night to make sure the pressure switch wasn't kicking on the pressure tank, and it isn't, so there doesn't appear to be a leak or an issue with the pump.

A couple years ago when we built we had a well se up similar to yours with a deep reservoir. I think we were getting something like 5 gpm, I値l see if I can find our completion report. Anyway, the bank wanted a water test done on it to make sure it was potable so my driller shocked the well with chlorine and told me to run it out until I couldn稚 smell it any more after a couple days. I ran it for 60 minutes and it went dry. I was like 展TF? Was not expecting that. We致e been living here for 3 years and not one instance of daily living did we run it dry.

So you haven't run it for 60 minutes straight since, or you are able to run it for that long now and not run it dry?

/ Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt. #64  
Wells can "get better" as you use it, been told that and have seen it. Fracking is a possibility, it helped our well quite a bit. Our first well actually caved in, the driller didn't get down into good bedrock. A well is not as cut & dried as it seems. Best of luck with yours.

/ Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt. #65  
So you haven't run it for 60 minutes straight since, or you are able to run it for that long now and not run it dry?

Oh I’ve definitely ran it for 60 minutes straight since (and even longer) many times. I think once you get a good water flow it “opens up” and gets better.

Water had been holding strong ever since. Geothermal guys used about 150 gallons the other day with no issues. I'm going to fill my hot tub we just moved from our old house here in the next day or so after I finish wiring the disconnect. Fingers crossed.

/ Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt. #67  
New unexpected potential major problem. We had the well drilled in April. They went 460ft after hitting around 180. 2-3gpm flow I believe. Anyways, we finally have the well pump/pressure tank in, and used it for the first time today (well, our excavator did). He was using it to fill the septic system as he was installing. He used about 200-300 gallons, and we ran dry. They let it sit for a little while, and got about 20-30 minutes worth of water and it ran dry again. There is no way we should be running out already with that much reservoir. So, either something is wrong, or the drilling company gave me the wrong information. My guess is, if there's no problem, we may have to look at drilling a new well which isn't in the budget.

I may just list this house for sale after all.

We had something similar happen at our cabin last summer; run the water for 10 minutes and it stopped. Turns out the new pump was defective and only running on one leg of the 220. Replaced the pump and no more problem. On a similar note, our neighbor about a quarter mile away and up about 150 ft had a new well drilled and went to 700 ft with no water; he is buying water from another neighbor up the road...

/ Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt. #68  
So whoever was filling that septic needs smacked upside the head. You can't possibly expect a well to run wide open for hours on end.

/ Pennsylvania New Home Build Thread. An attempt. #69  
2-3 gpm isn’t too bad. You just don’t pump that much from a well that quick.

Last edited:
Busy stage of the build. I'm finally taking over a lot of the finish work. I'm laying tile while my wife and friends paint. I have the DITRA down in all of the rooms. Half bath is done, laundry room is next. Only shot of the half bath floor I have.

IMG_20191112_214216.jpg