Best UTV?

/ Best UTV? #31  
I have found that the worst equipment to have around is old unroadworthy stuff. Every damm time you go to use them, they need some repair.

I do think a Samauri/Sidekick represents a better value than many of the UTVs being offered, albet a NEW or southern one. Yes, I know, they aren't made anymore. But not a beat to death on Canadian roads one. At least they are quiet. Can you imagine spending that kind of money for something that sounds like being inside a garbage can with a lawn mower?

I think the UTV market has really become a suckers market, much like the Gigantic Camping trailers. People loose sight of what the thing was supposed to be for. Utility! Always easy, when you aren't paying CASH. I was talking to a Kubota/Polaris Salesman about the high cost to repair these things. He agreed and said many of the buyers have to get a co-signature to even buy the thing on time!

/ Best UTV? #32  
I shopped UTV's quite a bit. Ended up buying what I think is the best UTV and got it at a price better than any other brand,
It is the Kawasaki Trans 4x4, for less than 10K. MSRP was 11,699.

/ Best UTV? #33  
My Sami was bought new by a couple that towed it behind their RV. It had been sitting in their carport for several yeas here in California.

Over the years it needed 2 batteries, oil/filter and 2 tires. The only thing broke is the radio. No rust and it works really hard stacked high with concrete sacks and towing my box trailer. Did have one wild ride where I had 3k of concrete in the trailer and the wild ride was going down a gravel fire trail and there was no stopping. Now I put 25 sacks in the Sami and it goes anywhere.

Not taking anything away from the Kubota RTV 900. It is just not going to be able to make a run to the supply house like Sami

/ Best UTV? #34  
I have found that the worst equipment to have around is old unroadworthy stuff. Every damm time you go to use them, they need some repair.

I do think a Samauri/Sidekick represents a better value than many of the UTVs being offered, albet a NEW or southern one. Yes, I know, they aren't made anymore. But not a beat to death on Canadian roads one. At least they are quiet. Can you imagine spending that kind of money for something that sounds like being inside a garbage can with a lawn mower?

I think the UTV market has really become a suckers market, much like the Gigantic Camping trailers. People loose sight of what the thing was supposed to be for. Utility! Always easy, when you aren't paying CASH. I was talking to a Kubota/Polaris Salesman about the high cost to repair these things. He agreed and said many of the buyers have to get a co-signature to even buy the thing on time!

I have to agree with Industrial Toys and Ultrarunner. The best all around UTV is an old 4x4 such as Jeep, Nissan, Samurai, Isuzu. My 1988 Isuzu Trooper is 5' 5" wide and can go just about anywhere a UTV will go. I will say a UTV has its place if your needing a small vehicle for dragging food plots or towing an agricultural sprayer. But the original poster (OP) would be better served with the capabilities of a road-worthy vehicle. At least when considering the initial description of need. I think UTVs are fun but the pricing is ridiculous (well... ridiculous to me, I'm not a wealthy person). Having said all this, hey, its your money, there have been great suggestions on both sides. Those of us who prefer the old trucks just want the OP to be aware of all the options available and to know that the older (1980's era) on-road vehicles from many of the manufacturers were much smaller than the SUVs of recent times.

/ Best UTV? #35  
UTV's are great. I own 4 of them. That being said have you considered instead of dropping all this money on one instead using some of it to improve your driveway? You mention it is only 6' wide, steep an 500' long. If your only need for a UTV is traversing this driveway why not instead use that 10-20k a UTV would cost to make the driveway passable with more normal vehicles?

/ Best UTV? #37  
I was just in the market for a UTV. As the family outgrew the 4x4 ATV.

My uses were pretty basic. Not much hauling so bed space/capacity wasn't important.

What I do is haul saws to cut wood when too wet to get tractors in, ride fences and fields to look for downed trees, or tile/blowout issues, haul trash from the house down to the shop where the dumpster is, tow the lawn roller or cultipacker, travel to woods to hunt ( Deere, squirrel, mushrooms)....and pretty much just a daily driver shuttling me to and from my shop, that is about 400' of hill from the house.

So for me, getting around in muddy and uneven terrain, and ride handling/comfort was Paramount.

So I went a different direction than the UTVs that are built like tanks (and ride like log waggons).

I got a Kawasaki teryx4.

/ Best UTV? #38  
Here is a picture of the UTV... the one I bought for $1000

38 Bantam with Suzuki.JPG

/ Best UTV? #39  
The nice thing about an old jeep is anyone can fix it and you can get parts pretty cheap anywhere. I've owned a few utv's and just crack one of them plastic fenders or bend a tailgate and look out, whatever you think the part may cost just triple it and you should be close.