Propane questions

/ Propane questions #21  
Gasman's post above has the key info.

The specs on the conversion kit should specify minimum and maximum inlet pressure to the generator. You can likely tee in anywhere downstream of the tank regulator where it's reduced to 10 PSIG. (EDIT -- You'd still need another 2nd stage regulator prior to the generator if you tee into the 10# line. The one in your conversion kit should be the appliance regulator just like all modern gas appliances have.) You might also be able to extend a house line to the generator as long as the house piping is sized adequately -- would have to check the charts. All of this depends on where you want the generator to be located.

Someone suggested that you just get one or two dedicated tanks for the generator. I think that's the best solution. I have a propane standby generator and my biggest concern is that we get a wind storm or ice storm when my tank is already low on fuel. They autofill our tank when it gets to ~20%. In the worst case scenario, we could need the generator when we're already very low on fuel and the propane company might not be able to get to us. Instead of having days of propane supply we could use it up in hours with the generator running. (I ended up buying a separate 500 gallon tank.) And just installing a larger tank doesn't really solve this problem. (You'll still hit points where you're down to about 20% and you'll have to pay additional fees for an oversized tank that you're not filling several times per year.)

1. If you convert to propane, there's a lot to be said for your standby power to have a separate tank. If you simply buy a tank(s) and keep it full and separate for your generator, you know that you always have that reserve tank to provide xx hours of power when you need it. But you still have to convert it . . . .

2. There's something to be said for leaving it gasoline powered. If the forecast is for a big storm, you can always go fill up gas cans and be prepared. I can usually find gasoline during a storm -- can't always manage to get a large propane tank filled.

In either case, consider how much propane the generator will burn under normal load. With your current tank, the most fuel you ever have is 160 gallons and maybe 150 of that is useable. In the worst case you could get caught with only 40 gallons or so. I'd much rather have a separate FULL tank sitting there ready to go when needed.

Last edited:
   / Propane questions #22  
It’s been a few years since I’ve gotten into propane or NG powered generators, but a tank can only “boil off” so much gas from the liquid propane at a certain rate. This is a function of the geometry and dimensions of the tank. I believe this is why fork lifts have their tanks mounted flat (laying down) and why you turn your bic lighter on its side when it gets low so there’s maximum surface area above the liquid versus it being upright.
I don’t know what the magic number is, but at some KW, the generator needs to have LIQUID propane supplied and it is converted to gas at an adaptor kit on the generator.

/ Propane questions #23  
Did any of you read the original post before responding? Specifically the part that say's "I don't have a problem having one of the guys from the co-op come out to do this but would like to understand what he would be doing prior to discussing this with them on the phone." ?
If you know something about this subject,why not share what you know as requested so he can keep an eye on whoever he has do it. Seem's easy enough to me,do you mind telling us why you don't want to tell op a little about it? Surely it's not because you actually don't know yourself and just looking for post count.
House generators are smallish as to what I'm used to. I'll just duck out. Those two were yesterday evening. Besides riding down the road counting fence posts, I don't know what a post count is.

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_204256_4CS.jpg
    IMG_20220619_204256_4CS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20220619_204640.jpg
    IMG_20220619_204640.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
   / Propane questions #24  
the red regulator at the tank is likely delivering 5 psi to the house regulator. The house regulator in turn reduces the 5 psi to 11' W.C. propane appliances operate @ 11 ''W.C.
So if you're connecting that generator to your home line. You need to connect to the outlet of that second regulator at your house.

It takes approx 27'' W.C. to equal 1# of pressure

Of course, I would check gas pressures before connecting

/ Propane questions #25  
There are also distances from "an ignition source" and house windows and doors when installing a regulator vent. Again, it all depends on geometry and distances. You'll probably find they will want to tap into the line between the 2 regulators - again depending on how your site is set up.

/ Propane questions #26  
Did any of you read the original post before responding? Specifically the part that say's "I don't have a problem having one of the guys from the co-op come out to do this but would like to understand what he would be doing prior to discussing this with them on the phone." ?
If you know something about this subject,why not share what you know as requested so he can keep an eye on whoever he has do it. Seem's easy enough to me,do you mind telling us why you don't want to tell op a little about it? Surely it's not because you actually don't know yourself and just looking for post count.
Did any of you read the original post before responding? YES I read the original post. Why else would I say that 'The only advice I would give'.

If you know something about this subject,why not share what you know as requested so he can keep an eye on whoever he has do it.
I could do what he wants done and have tools to do it. I will not do it for my own use and will not tell anyone anything about it. Dealing with such an explosive and poisonous substance you mess the smallest thing up and people die.

Seem's easy enough to me,do you mind telling us why you don't want to tell op a little about it?
Because if he decides to try it on his own and messes up, his wife or next of kin could come back on me. If the pros mess it up she goes after them, I am not liable.

Surely it's not because you actually don't know yourself and just looking for post count.
From what I can see you should swallow that sarcasm and search for a little wisdom. Oh, I care nothing about post count, mine , yours, or anybody else's.

/ Propane questions #27  

I surely did read the post. With the given information and not knowing local codes it is not possible to advise the OP on the installation specifics.

You ever fill and carry a bucket of propane?

/ Propane questions
I'd like to thank everyone for their contribution. I'm sorry if my post caused issues between members.

Thanks to all of your comments, I now feel confident I can discuss my needs with my local co-op and be able to engage in a meaningful conversation.

Some additional info:
1. My existing tank is about 50' from the house.
2. The location of the existing regulator mounted on the house is less than 15' from the power entry panel where my generator power cord is attached. As such, I could place the generator anywhere in the near vacinity of the existing propane installation as the gen's power cable is 20' long.
3. A complete and dedicated regulator comes with the conversion kit for the generator. Yes, there are other parts included in the kit other than the regulator so that the propane can be introduced into the carb correctly.
4. We have, thankfully, very reliable power from my electric co-op. We may have as much as 1 outage per year and it rarely lasts more than 30 minutes. However, I live in northern MN and about every 10 to 15 years, we'll have one heck of a windstorm that will lay trees down, etc. While I have buried utility lines, issues many miles away can easily disrupt the feed to my part of the county. It's been 10 yrs since the last big blow and I'm thinking it is getting to be that time again.
5. Because of the info in #4, it's not likely I will get a dedicated tank for the generator. As it is now, I fill my 200 gallon tank about once every 3 years. Yes, I did say I had a propane furnace but I didn't say I used it. ;)
6. Given the cost of the propane conversion kit and labor to install a safe and reliable feed for it....well, I'll have to weigh that decision a bit more.

I've attached a few pics. I use a Generlink for my automatic transfer switch, as you can see in the pics. I just had it installed (my electric co-op did that for me) a few days ago. I used the well pump as a test load....was very happy to hear the generator grunt just a bit when the water pressure tank emptied enough for the pump to kick on. :)

Attachments

• 20220623_094415.jpg
    20220623_094415.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220623_094440.jpg
    20220623_094440.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20220623_094605.jpg
    20220623_094605.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
   / Propane questions #29  
It’s the mercaptan added to the propane that stinks.
Why I don't have (and never will have) a propane grill outside. I don't much care for food cooked on propane direct. It's the stink that bothers me.

My outside grill is chunk charcoal fired (not commercial processed charcoal briquettes either). Real hardwood chunk charcoal, usually apple but sometimes Mesquite.

/ Propane questions #30  
^ I agree, except I do use a propane grill for some foods depending on the occasion.

The best way to grill is with hardwood, then a close second is chunk charcoal. The briquettes leave a kerosene note to the food and using lighter fluid to start the fire is absolutely horrid! You can taste the lighter fluid in the food even after the fluid has supposedly burned off.